Thursday, January 25, 2007

Techno Ho Ho

1/25/07 Week Three Exercises 5, 6, 7

You bet I've been to Flicker and have populated my site with some nifty images of sojurn in Spain as well as an action photo of my guitar picking son Todd and me singing a trilogy of songs I wrote about my wife's Texas roots. I suppose my next leap will be to get some of those pics over here on this site, but that may have to wait until the next exercise. Now it seems to me that the simple act of writing this would be fulfilling exercise numbeer seven. After all it's not like it's being written on Chinese rice paper or sticked in the dirt. Technology right? Okay, why quibble. To truly fulfill my techno rumination I'll tell the story of what used to be a wonderful way to hear some fine music. Listen:
I own an Ipod and although late to that dance, just like every other techno advancement of the past three decades, once in hand it was quickly filled with tunes from my oveer 1,000 cds. I also bought once of those docks, looks like a doughnut, that serves as a charger and a player getting outstanding sound for something so small. I don't use it at home but it always goes on the road and fills up a motel room quite adequately with everything from Lyle Lovett to Sinatra and the Stones. Well I went to Spain this past winter break and of course the Ipod was an essential for the flight and for the hotels. Unfortunately the dock was in my luggage which was seperated from me at fogged out Heathrow Airport and didn't make the scene until some eight days later. When it arrived I was so happy to see my clothes (of course) but even more excited to have that dock so the Spaniard could get a load of Emmylou. Electrical grids being different in Europe we had brought adapters so I plugged the dock into the adapter and the adapter into the wall. Nothing happened for a few seconds but then all the lights went out in the room and their was a peculiar burning smell. Adios dock. Adapter was nice but a converter would have been even better. Tomorrow I go to Costco for dock numero dos. Love that technology..................